Q.If I want to mail a check to the Machao Orphanage Foundation, where should I send it?
A. Please download our printable donation form and send it along with your check or money order (made out to “The Machao Orphanage Foundation”) to:
Q.I don’t live in the United States. Will the Machao Orphanage Foundation accept my donation?
A.The Machao Orphanage Foundation welcomes donations from all over the world. You can mail your check to us at the address above or donate online. You must, however, send your payment in U.S. dollars.
Q.How will my donation be used to help the children?
A.The Machao Orphanage Foundation was established to support the orphaned children whose parents have died of HIV/AIDs and those destitute impoverished children whose parents can no longer afford to take care of them. Unless otherwise instructed, your donation will go to support our current project phase. We are now raising money to build eight homes to house 80 children, in addition to the basics such as food, tuition, shoes, and hygiene items.
In 2005, the Machao Orphanage Foundation furthered its mission by funding, among other things:
- The construction, building and furnishing costs for the new facility which houses 43 children in the impoverished region of Makueni, Kenya.
- Utilities (solar panels).
- A child’s education. The children in the orphanage are required to attend school. Participating in our ‘Love-a-Child’ program will support the purchase of a child’s uniform, tuition, fees, books, and school supplies.
- Toiletries, clothing and medical supplies.
- Personnel. Currently, MACHAO has one house mother (matron), a senior groundsman, and a junior groundsman. As the number of children grow, the orphanage will need at least one more matron and another groundsman.
- Construction of a water system and solar irrigation.
Q.How can I help the Machao Orphanage Foundation, beyond making a donation?
A.Individuals interested in donating their time or skills to forwarding the mission of the Machao Orphanage Foundation are encouraged to sign up for our annual newsletter and our monthly updates on volunteer opportunities. You can also join our Circle of Friends program. Involve friends and family to help increase awareness of the homelessness that exist in Makueni, Kenuya and raise money to give shelter, food, clothing and an education to the children. Ongoing volunteer opportunities include:
Short Term Volunteer Opportunities:
- Volunteer Day Part I: May 18, 2019 from 10 am – 2 pm at Emmanuel Church’s Auditorium • 438 E. Harvard Road, Burbank, CA 91502
- Volunteer Day Part II: June 30, 2019 from 2 pm – 6 pm at Gilderfluke & Co. • 205 S. Flower St., Burbank, CA 91502
- MACHAO Service Trip: July 14 – August 2, 2019. Click here to be taken to MACHAO’s Service Trip FAQ page
- Collect 600 bars of soap, 600 washcloths, 400 tubes of toothpaste, 400 toothbrushes, 400 sticks of deodorant, 400 16 oz bottles of lotion.
- Social Media Coordinator
Long Term Volunteer Opportunities:
- Children’s Enrichment Specialist (one year).
- Field Manager (one year).
- Permaculture Intern (one to two years).
Q.Can I volunteer at The Machao Orphanage in Kenya?
A.We appreciate your interest in volunteering. Please go to our MACHAO Service Team FAQ page and call us at 818 377 5120 to find out about our latest short term mission trips. We also need volunteers interested in staying for at least a year to assist the children’s educational needs by providing after school assistance and enrichment via music and/or art). Call us or today for more information.
Q.Can I donate clothes to the children of MACHAO?
A.We appreciate your interest in donating clothes, but we cannot accept them. The high costs of shipping combined with the administrative problems created by customs ultimately makes donating clothes more expensive than taking the money we raise to purchase them.
Q.I am a medical doctor, nurse or dentist and would like to assist.
A.The children are in need of annual medical and dental exams. For those who desire to assist children in a developing world, please visit the Doctor’s Corner page on our website.